WeAreDTLA is a collaborative consultancy founded and managed by Edgar Varela and Melissa Richardson Banks that specializes in marketing and production of cultural events based in Downtown Los Angeles and throughout the city. Recent work included the ongoing Downtown Dark Nights series and POPUP Marketplace events at L.A. LIVE as well as LA Weekly’s Artopia 2015. Please contact us for a complete list of current clients, projects, and campaigns.
Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 446-2055 direct
Cultural producer specializing in art, music and cultural happenings with an emphasis on brand/sponsor-driven festivals and experiential marketing.
Directed EVFA, Art Gallery and Cultural Space from 2006-2013 – DTLA
• Curated Music for Grand Park Summer Music Series 2014 – Downtown Los Angeles
• Permits/Consulting, Art of Elysium 2013 Annual Gala – Downtown Los Angeles
Facilitated permits for Celebrity Gala Event in historic 2nd Street tunnel for 500 attendees.
• Founder/Producer, BloomfestLA 2009-12, Arts District – Downtown Los Angeles
This free community festival now attracts well over 30,000 attendees each year.
• Music Producer, Target Feria de la Familia 2010-2013, Lincoln Heights, CA
Multicultural music programming and production for this annual festival with 25,000 attendees yearly.
• Producer, Art Weekend LA, Downtown Los Angeles, CA
Quarterly art event in 2011 that connected local art galleries with national art fairs; Art Platform, Art LA Contemporary, Pulse and LA Art Show.
• Curator, Phantom Galleries, Los Angeles, CA
Developed proposals for various entities for support of programming. Curated appropriate art for public events. Managed PR and sponsors during 2007-09.
• Director/Producer, Analog Salon Art Series, Culver City, CA
Produced this quarterly art series sponsored by Epson 2011-12.
• Producer, Commerce Casino, World Music Series 2010
Acts included Jeremy Sole and his Musaics, Very Be Careful, La Santa Cecilia, Las Cafeteras, Buyepongo, Mr. Vallenato, Maleco Collective and Mas Musica.
• Co-Producer, Homage Concert Series, 2010-12
Produced events with such artists as Roy Ayers, Peter Rock, Robert Glasper Experiment, Quantic, Thundercat, Alice Russell & Hypnotic Brass Ensemble.
• Staff, Abbot Kinney Festival, Venice, CA
Helped managed operations in KidsQuad at this free community festival in 2011, which currently draws 150,000 annually.